e-Learning for Lifelong Learning in Malaysia

Mansor Fadzil, and Latifah Abdol Latif, (2010) e-Learning for Lifelong Learning in Malaysia. In: e-ASEM White Paper : e-Learning for Lifelong Learning. Korea National Open University Press, Seoul, South Korea , pp. 233-307.


Download (4Mb) | Preview
Official URL: http://easem.knou.ac.kr


Lifelong learning initiatives, whether utilising e-Learning or otherwise, are a relatively new phenomenon in Malaysia. Education for many people is still characterised by formal schooling; and for a certain disadvantaged section of the population, post-sec- ondary education may not even be a possibility or an option. Out of the projected number of 881, 247 individuals enrolled at upper secondary school level in 2010, only 277, 904 (or 31.54 per cent) actually go on to participate in post-secondary education (Government of Malaysia, 2006). The remainder 68.46 per cent may gain employment without furthering their education, or may not be employed at all. This points to an even greater role that lifelong learning programmes has to play; as a formal, non-formal or informal means for many more individuals to attain some form of education to improve both their professional and personal lives. The foremost individual who made the earliest proposal for the enculturation of lifelong learning in Malaysia is the then incumbent Prime Minister, Tun Mahathir Mohamad. During and following his tenure, the Government began strategising to implement lifelong learning, particularly in the 8MP, OPP3, KEMP, 9MP, NHEAP and NHESP. (Executive summary by the authors)

Item Type: Book Section
Additional Information: Printed and CD-ROM format of 'e-ASEM White Paper : e-Learning for Lifelong Learning' is also available in Tan Sri Dr Abdullah Sanusi Digital Library at call no. LC5808 A78EAS (Ref).
Uncontrolled Keywords: Lifelong learning ; E-learning ; Knowledgeable workforce ; The Malaysian Education System
Subjects: L Education > LC Special aspects of education > LC5201 Education extension. Adult education. Continuing education
L Education > L Education (General)
Depositing User: Shahril Effendi Ibrahim
Date Deposited: 21 Jan 2011 00:32
Last Modified: 19 May 2013 03:20
URI: http://library.oum.edu.my/repository/id/eprint/494

Actions (login required)

View Item View Item